INDEX BY TITLE

I live in the Midwest which is Big Ten country. Once conference play starts virtually every Big Ten game is televised in my region and I commit myself to try and watch all of them. I have three televisions set up as some games are being played at the same time. I have no bias or affiliation to any Big Ten team as I am a lifelong Notre Dame fan (I include ND games in my viewing schedule as well). My comments and reports are qualified only by my love of the game and an extreme commitment to watching and following Big Ten football.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

BIG TEN FOOTBALL FTC WHAT HAPPENED WEEK 4

I went 0-2 last Saturday. I’m starting off on the wrong foot. Plenty of season left, though.
My predictions and pre-game comments can be found on a previous post, dated 9-20.
My Current Overall Record:  0-2


THE PLAYS
Nebraska 27  Rutgers 17  
Closing Line:  Nebraska -11
FTC Prediction: Nebraska - 21
ATS: Lose
I missed getting the win by only a couple of points, but still, this was a bad pick. Rutgers is a lower tier Big Ten team, and I considered that. But, even though I noted all of the signs, it’s difficult to consider a storied program like Nebraska a lower tier team, which they are. I pointed out in my prediction write-up that there would be fallout from last week’s loss to Northern Illinois in the form of external distractions… there was. I also pointed out that QB Tanner Lee would be prone to more interceptions… he was. I also pointed out that Nebraska’s defense is average at best. Yet, despite pointing all of this out, I still overvalued this team by just a bit. I was, however, correct that Rutgers was the worse of the two teams, and that eventually the Huskers would wear them down.

Notre Dame 38  Michigan St. 18 
Closing Line:  Notre Dame -3
FTC Prediction: Michigan St -4
ATS: Lose
I was way off on this one, but this wasn’t such a bad pick. Sometimes, you can forecast turnovers. But usually, turnovers are a costly variable that you can’t really predict, and can only hope that things will even out in the long run. The L.J Scott fumble as he was crossing the goal line was the third and most crushing Michigan St. turnover in the first half. And that’s telling, considering the second turnover was a pick six. The Spartans didn’t appear to be severely overmatched – the statistics will show this - they just had no chance with those kinds of giveaways. But, I would say, even without the turnovers, Notre Dame probably would have won. The Irish O-line had their way at times and QB Brandon Wimbush wasn’t as inaccurate in the passing game as I figured he’d be. Probably the best overall game I’ve seen Notre Dame play this season.



THE NON-PLAYS
Michigan 28  Purdue 10 
Closing Line: Michigan -12.5
FTC Prediction: Michigan -13
ATS: Pass
Although Michigan pulled away near the end, this game was competitive for quite some time, which didn’t surprise me. Michigan lost it’s starting QB, Wilton Speight, to injury in the first quarter, but backup John O’Korn came in and played efficiently. Speight hasn’t played all that well this season, and O’Korn has been good in limited action, so the injury didn’t represent much of a drop off. Despite the loss, I’m still on the Purdue bandwagon. Huge improvement from recent seasons. So far, the Boilermakers appear to be the real deal. But so is Michigan’s defense. They have some players who can fly around, particularly LB Devin Bush. As I predicted, Michigan did, in fact, have the better talent and depth and wore the Boilermakers down.

Penn St 21  Iowa 19  
Closing Line:  Penn St. -12.5
FTC Prediction: Penn St. -13
ATS: Pass
Great game complete with a walk off TD. The superstars in this game stuck out like a bunch of sore thumbs. QB Trace McSorley and RB Saquon Barkley for Penn St., and RB Akrum Wadley and LB Josey Jewell for Iowa. I should have done better on my prediction, I kind of figured going in that the Nittany Lions aren’t that much ahead of the curve. But they were good enough to get the win. McSorley is clutch, a winner. Iowa QB Nathan Stanley has some heart too, as did the whole Iowa team in this game. Someone had to win.


Previous posts:
Predictions Week 4                          


No comments:

Post a Comment