INDEX BY TITLE

I live in the Midwest which is Big Ten country. Once conference play starts virtually every Big Ten game is televised in my region and I commit myself to try and watch all of them. I have three televisions set up as some games are being played at the same time. I have no bias or affiliation to any Big Ten team as I am a lifelong Notre Dame fan (I include ND games in my viewing schedule as well). My comments and reports are qualified only by my love of the game and an extreme commitment to watching and following Big Ten football.

Monday, October 30, 2017

BIG TEN FOOTBALL FTC WHAT HAPPENED WEEK 9

I went 0-0 last Saturday.  I didn’t have any plays this week, but it was yet another entertaining Saturday of college football. Lot of parity in this conference. It was a good day for the QBs, even the ones who lost. I’ve been critical of many, but they shut me up on Saturday. My predictions and pre-game comments can be found on my previous post, dated 10-26 (ATS Predictions - Week 9).
My Current Overall Record:  4-7


THE PLAYS
None.

THE NON-PLAYS
Wisconsin 24  Illinois 10
Closing Line: Wisconsin -27
FTC Prediction: Wisconsin 34 Illinois 10
My ATS Pick: Pass
I predicted Wisconsin to come in a little flat. And they were, I think. QB Alex Hornibrook didn’t play very well, and RB Jonathan Taylor sat out the second half with an injury. The defense played well enough against a not very good Illinois offense, but overall, this was not one of Wisconsin’s better performances. Illinois played better than expected defense, but struggled on offense. From the couch I get the sense that the Illini offensive coaching staff is experimenting. Or, grabbing at straws… fine line. They’re trying to get some production out of dual threat QB Cam Thomas, but so far, Thomas has been nothing but single threat. Thomas was terrible in the passing game, but pretty good in the running game. So in comes passing QB Jeff George Jr., who has a good arm but struggles with accuracy. For a team that is arguably the worst in the conference, Illinois ain’t all that bad, though. But things seem to be getting a bit loose around the edges as the Illini seem to be committing more unforced errors with each week. 

Nebraska 25  Purdue 24
Closing Line: Purdue - 4
FTC Prediction: Purdue 30 Nebraska 24
My ATS Pick: Pass
I predicted Purdue to jump out to the early lead and relinquish it in the second half; I just didn’t predict there’d be no time left on the clock when it happened. Nebraska, more specifically QB Tanner Lee, proved me wrong in this game. I figured Lee for a couple of interceptions and to wilt in the clutch. Lee threw no interceptions and led his team to the game winning drive. Purdue played David Blough at QB for the whole game, which was an improvement, I think. Blough would have had much better throwing numbers and the outcome of the game might have been different if Purdue receivers didn’t drop so many passes. If these teams played again tomorrow I think I’d still predict Purdue to win. Nebraska was better this day, though. Good for them. The Huskers needed this one. Purdue has stagnated a bit. I think they’re still a program on the rise, but is still learning how to win. And while I think HC Jeff Brohm is doing great, I should say that I was wrong in giving a big edge to the Purdue coaching staff for this game.

Michigan 35  Rutgers 14
Closing Line: Michigan -23
FTC Prediction: Michigan 27 Rutgers 10
My ATS Pick: Pass
This game was my only real shot at a play and it didn’t quite make the cut. Too bad, too. If the line would have stayed at 24 I would have taken Rutgers and won. Aside from a bit more scoring from both teams, this game played out pretty close to what I predicted. Michigan QB John O’Korn struggled in the first half and finally the Michigan coaching staff had had enough. In comes O’Korn’s backup, Brandon Peters, who promptly leads the Wolverines on a scoring drive and looks great in the process. Peters played well enough to assume he will be the starting QB this Saturday. Rutgers could look at this game as a sign of improvement, given where the program was last season. The Scarlet Knights were competitive early and played hard to the end against an iconic program. So a step in the right direction for both teams, I think.

Maryland 42  Indiana 39
Closing Line: Indiana -5.5
FTC Prediction: Indiana 33 Maryland 31
My ATS Pick: Pass
I’m OK with how this played out compared to my prediction write-up. I didn’t pick the winner, but I figured the game would be close and could go either way. There was a bit more scoring than I called for, but not by much. This was a nice win for Maryland, who got some big plays from their big playmakers. Indiana’s defense can be good at times, but needed to be better in this one. QB Peyton Ramsey is still a bit raw, but was playing well for the most part until he left late in the game with an injury.

Iowa 17  Minnesota 10
Closing Line: Iowa -7
FTC Prediction: Iowa 23 Minnesota 13
My ATS Pick: Pass
I wasn’t too far off on this one, either. A good old fashioned Big Ten defensive battle. Iowa took control early and maintained it throughout the game. Despite the close score, I never really got the sense that Iowa was in danger of losing this game. QB Nate Stanley played well, and hit on another long ball, something he was struggling with earlier in the season. Stanley is one of a few QBs that I’ve been criticizing this season who turned in a “STFU” performance last Saturday. Minnesota is close, but doesn’t appear to be ready for prime time just yet. The new QB looked better than he did the previous Saturday, but still not very good.

Northwestern 39  Michigan St. 31  OT
Closing Line: Michigan St. -2
FTC Prediction: Michigan St. 13 Northwestern 12
My ATS Pick: Pass
I was actually pretty close with my prediction as the game was tied at the end of regulation, 17-17. Both of the QBs in this game sent me a “STFU”. Michigan St.’s Brian Lewerke came out firing and was red hot. Lewerke led the Spartans on an opening TD drive, completing several passes along the way, and finished with a clutch, clutch, clutch last minute drive to tie the game and send it into OT. Then Lewerke proceeded to make several more clutch plays in OT. Northwestern QB Clayton Thorson was even better than Lewerke in OT. In fact, Thorson turned in an overall good performance, maybe his best that I can remember. Good defense from both teams. No shame in losing this game, a hard fought game between evenly matched teams.

Ohio St. 39  Penn St. 38
Closing Line: Ohio St. -7
FTC Prediction: Ohio St. 31 Penn St. 24
My ATS Pick: Pass
Penn St. had this one. Saquon Barkley ran back the opening kickoff and never trailed until Ohio St. scored the game winning TD with under two minutes left in the game. At one point, Penn St. was up 21-3 and had me thinking this game is over. Both teams have a good defense, but I knew there would be some offense-- both teams were coming in at the top of their game. As I pointed out, both QBs are clutch players, and that was evident in this game. Particularly regarding Ohio St. QB J.T. Barrett, who led the Buckeyes on three touchdown drives in the fourth quarter to bring his team back from a 35-20 deficit. In hindsight, it could be said that Penn St. was too conservative with their last couple of possessions as they tried to protect their lead. But only in hindsight could anyone say that with confidence. Great game.

Previous posts:
Predictions Week 9                           

  

No comments:

Post a Comment